Thursday, November 19, 2015

DIY Home Goods Decor!

I LOVE Home Goods, but I refuse to spend $100 for a painting! Decided to use old sample paints to DIY my own Home Goods decor and make it a bit darker to fit my taste! 


See this quick 2-3 minute VIDEO here!

I had old canvases in the basement that had paintings of trees, and I wasn't fond of the style nor color. I know it's taboo (VERY TABOO!!!) to paint over paintings, but I did it! I used a few thick layers of white primer paint, and POOF! Gone!

After painting the dining room, I was left will three sample paints in colors I absolutely adore. 

Sample Paint Used (from Home Depot):
Behr Ultra NYPD (medium gray blue, the color we chose for the dining room)
Behr Ultra Midnight Blue (dark gray blue)
Behr Ultra Deep Breath (medium blue)



After putting down some newspaper on the kitchen table, I used water to wipe the dust away and dried the canvases with a kitchen towel. Using the Behr Ultra Deep Breath (medium blue) paint, I started painting at the bottom, knowing that would be the darkest area of the painting (thereby a great place to make my first mistakes! LOL). Using a 1.5 inch Purdy brush (the same we use to paint the house), I dipped directly into the sample container and made large swiping motions across the canvas to get the look of the ocean waves. I did the same with a few swipes of the Behr Ultra NYPD (medium gray blue).






In an effort to make it as streaky as possible (yet make the waves better blend together), I used a little bit of water. As I approached the top of the painting (towards the "sky"), I used less and less paint. I then applied Behr Ultra Midnight Blue (dark gray blue) in thicker textured streaks to simulate rocks.




Optional Step: Working with a wrap around canvases, I decided to continue painting around the edges. Some people prefer to just leave the edges white or paint them black - totally a matter of preference!


And, VOILA! Is it as good as the Home Goods painting? Of course not. It's darker and moodier, but I love it! It's mine, and no else has a copy of this painting. :)



Have you done any painting around your house to mimic expensive decor you've seen at your favorite stores?

love + light,
Clara

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment or question!